Monday, July 22, 2013

Summer Heat...

Finally.  A relatively cool evening. After a torrential downpour that began just after dusk started to settle in, the clouds have thinned, and a soft breeze blows lazily over the marsh. After covering an extra shift, and working a couple of longer ones over the last week, I am finally able to relax.  To take a proverbial load off. Before settling in here at my computer and blowing some dust off my keyboard, I took a short respite in the form of an early night time stroll. It's a Full Moon in the fixed sign of Aquarius tonight. The 'water bearer'. I've always thought it interesting that Aquarius is an 'air' sign...one would think the water bearer would be a 'water' sign. Anyway, this moon is another Super Moon. Big, white, and bright, it's hanging in the sky like a giant Fresnel illuminating the marsh. Standing by the expanse with mosquitoes buzzing by my ears, the tide was high and rippled in the moonlight. Across the marsh of summer green grasses and reflective water, I could see a stream of flickering headlamps coming from Tybee Island on what I have always referred to as the land bridge. It was beautiful and peaceful. I needed a nice cool evening walk, and I'm happy to say that's what I got.
Heat. Humidity. A typical summer on the Georgia coast. Reporters on the various news telecasts have been talking about the heatwave we are experiencing all over the US. Oh what misery. Seems like your typical mid-summer weather to me. Alert the presses! It's hot during the summer!

I, myself, am not a fan of summer. First of all...well...it's hot, and the humidity makes spending time outdoors almost unbearable. Within a few minutes the hot and humid air has me running with sweat. We have had a considerable amount of rain this year, which is a nice change from the last couple of years. We have a surplus...they said 10 inches above the average for this time. The rain can help cool things down some, but not always. Today it helped. It felt so good to come back inside without having my clothes sweat soaked, and clinging to me. For that short walk I could feel the approach of a friend I have missed for months now. My friend Autumn.

I have decided that I am going to make Autumn come early this year. The weather and the actual seasonal shift may not help me out, but I have decided to go ahead and create the autumnal vibe in my abode. I've started burning my pine and pumpkin spice scented candles, both of which make me think of Fall. I am also going to transition certain decor elements early. Break out the earthy colors. Change out my brightly colored flowers of spring and summer with the oranges, browns, and deep greens prevalent after Mabon/the Fall Equinox. I don't think I will go so far as to break out some of my more subtle Samhain/Halloween decorations, but they will most likely come out earlier this year (probably September...All Hallow's is my favorite holiday).

Some of my Full Moon photos from tonight will show up in a different post soon. The pictures in this post are ones I took a few days ago. I finally had some time to get them together, so...better late than never. They were taken on a very hot and humid day. Taken during the summer, but the distant vibe of Autumn is there.

Well...I can feel it, anyway...


Above is the pond here at the condos. I have posted a few pictures of it here and there. However, I haven't posted a picture of the sign posted next to it. That's it below. Hmm..."No Swimming"..."No Wading"...There aren't any alligators in it?...Alligators not allowed? Not quite sure what the message is...*snerk*. 



No comments:

Post a Comment