Thursday, April 24, 2014

A Warren of Wabbits...




Spring is in full swing here on the Georgia coast. We have had our fair share of April Showers thus far, and I imagine we will see more before the season is over. 'Tis fine by me. Rain is one of my favorite things. We always need rain.

Spring shows the world...well, the world of the northern hemisphere...going through its yearly 'rebirth'. Things get greener. The color of various spring flowers get tossed into the mix. Azaleas, and Hydrangeas are big around the condos. A building across the way is fronted by some Cherry trees that are in full bloom. Yes, there is a lot of floral beauty around here.

Easter happened this past Sunday. I am more of a Spring Equinox gal, so the religious connotations of Easter Sunday are somewhat passed over by me. However, I do appreciate the symbolism of the rabbit.

The days have been getting warmer...and longer. Gaia is going through changes. A rebirth. Enter one of the chief representatives of the Spring, the rabbit. A symbol of the ancient fertility goddess, Ostara (which is also the pagan name for the celebration of the Spring Equinox), the rabbit symbolizes abundance, fertility, vulnerability, sentiment, desire, and new beginnings.

The Easter Bunny put me in mind of some rabbit oriented quotes, and images. Thought I would share some. They are not necessarily 'Easter' related, but do involve rabbits.




"I'm late / I'm late / For a very important date / No time to say "Hello, Goodbye". / I'm late, I'm late, I'm late."

~ The White Rabbit





"The other day when I was walking through the woods, 
I saw a rabbit standing in front of a candle 
making shadows of people on a tree."

~ Stephen Wright







"This is a fierce bad rabbit;
Look at his savage whiskers,
And his claws and his turned-up tail."

~ Beatrix Potter






"Why are you wearing that stupid bunny suit?"

~ Donnie Darko






"What is so real as the cry of a child?
A rabbit's cry may be wilder
But it has no soul."

~ Syliva Plath, "Ariel"




"R was a rabbit,
Who had a bad habit,
Of eating the flowers
In gardens and bowers,

r
Naughty fat rabbit!"

~ Edward Lear




No comments:

Post a Comment